““With guided imagery I learned that my body takes care of itself if I just listen to it and do what it says. I feel so much more in sync and on the path to health.” Pattie
Guided imagery for MS is a little known power tool to stimulate our cells to change, grow, strengthen, mend and so much more. Guided imagery, also known as visualizations, self-hypnosis, and trance has shown to stimulate the physical body to create change. By engaging this tool, we are taking a more active and focused approach to our health and healing.
Using guided imagery for Multiple Sclerosis allows us to communicate to our subconscious mind, the central controller of the body, the changes we desire and steer it towards health. This technique has been researched in psychoneuroimmunology , especially in the work of Candace Pert. Her research has shown how the neurology of the body actually experiences the same feelings and fires the same brain synapses during a visualization process that it would if experiencing a physical event.
How quickly can we change our cells?
Our cells are constantly changing and adapting to our current environment and needs. More so than we think – while much of science still operates under the assumption that our bodies renew every 7 years, research from the Smithsonian Institution in 1953 showed us that it’s much faster than that.
How fast do our cells renew? 98% of all the atoms in a human body are replaced every year. 100 percent turnover of atoms in the body at least every five years. 10% of all our cells every 3 weeks, 25% every 5 to 6 weeks. Soft muscle tissue 2-3 months. Skin every 30 days. Liver every 6 weeks. Stomach lining every 4 days….
Taking these timeframes into consideration, we can calculate how long we must repeat our visualizations to promote changes in our cells, muscle tissue, etc.
Guidelines for Using Guided Imagery for MS
- Your job is to do the process and hold the intention while not worrying about the results. The more you desire and focus on results, the more you will create resistance to the process and the body’s response. Your only responsibility is to set the intention and keep the focus going for an extended period. You are not ‘doing’ the work, your body is. Your focus is on enjoying the time to imagine changes.
- Short visualizations can be done 3 times a day. Longer recorded hypnosis can be done once or twice a day.
- Be consistent and repeat repeat repeat.
- This needs to be interesting for you so use words and imagery that engage your senses and that connects with you.
- Don’t get too technical in your guided imagery. The subconscious mind, the part of your mind that controls your body, works in imagery and metaphors so keep it creative and entertaining (Think sparkles, gold colored threads, little workers the size of a pinhead sweep away scarred myelin and repairing nerves….).
- Focus on one specific goal (rather than each day a different goal). Repetition creates permanence. Hold the intention of the session each time you begin – what do you want to achieve with the exercise? You are giving your body inner instructions. You are not hoping for changing; you are directing your focus.
- Fogginess -> clearing the clouds
- Numbed leg -> turning the circulation back on like unraveling a hose that had a kink in it and the water begins to gush again….
- Burning nerve pain -> pouring water on it or cooling it down with ice or absorbing the overactive electrons with a magnet of some sort.
- Myelin sheaths all frazzled and scared -> cleaning them with a golden bristle brush and then sewing them back together with golden thread
- You can use a recording for the session or you can do it on your own. Both have shown to produce changes.
Free Guided Imagery for MS
Eva M Clark collaborated with Katherine Zimmerman to create 3 free guided imagery for MS for you to use for your own healing. Stay tuned for these videos!!
Taking Control of the Sensations in Our body – The Control Room
This guided imagery for MS uses a control room analogy to focus your attention on reducing symptoms of multiple sclerosis. This is a classic hypnotic script used by many hypnotists to help their clients get relief from discomfort. You can listen and download this free self-hypnosis recording below.
Stimulating our Bodies to Make a Physical Change – Visualizing Healing
This self-hypnosis for MS uses imagery for you to work on a specific physical symptom of your choice. It uses the power of repetition, intention and focus to stimulate the body to create a change in the symptom. It can be used for any change desired in the body. You can listen and download this free self-hypnosis recording below.
Creating Our Future Selves (Future Progression)
This example of guided imagery progresses us into the future and find solutions and options that best move each of us forward and onto the path of health. You can listen and download this free hypnosis recording below.